If you’re planning a trip to New Orleans, then stay in style while staying within your budget. Offering contemporary sophistication in the heart of downtown New Orleans, the newly renovated Blake Hotel is the ideal place to stay for both business and leisure travelers. One of the many stand-out features of this premier property is its convenient location, situated on the corner of beautiful Saint Charles Avenue and Poydras, only a few blocks from the world-famous Bourbon Street.
The Blake’s ideal location makes it an excellent choice for visitors who want to experience the rich and exciting attractions of the Big Easy without having to waste time worrying about transportation. There are a number of must-see spots within walking distance; or just a quick streetcar ride away, which in itself is worthy of any visitor’s to-do list. The only thing you have to figure out is where do you want to go first?!
Put on Your Walking Shoes
You can explore many of New Orleans’s top attractions, events, and neighborhoods with just a short 5 to 10-minute walk from the hotel.
- The French Quarter — Founded in 1718, the French Quarter is the oldest neighborhood in New Orleans, but there’s always something new to experience! Browse through the many eclectic shops and galleries that line the streets, sample absolutely mouthwatering cuisine, enjoy a horse and buggy ride through the city, have your fortune told in Jackson Square, or marvel at the awe-inspiring St. Louis Cathedral.
- Bourbon Street — It’s a street that really needs no introduction; Bourbon Street has long been known for its reputation as a place to party. However, this street offers more than meets the eye, with a number of famous NOLA restaurants like Galatoire’s, Ralph Brennan’s Red Fish Grill, and Remoulade calling Bourbon Street home.
- Lafayette Square — The second oldest square in New Orleans, this 2.5-acre park is a favorite gathering place for locals and visitors to enjoy concerts, festivals, and other events. The square also hosts a free concert-in-the-park series in the spring, known as Wednesdays at the Square.
- Harrah’s Casino — Just a hop, skip, and a jump from the hotel, on Poydras St., 24/7 fun and excitement awaits! Whether you want to roll the dice, spin the wheel, or dance the night away at Masquerade Nightclub, Harrah’s Casino offers non-stop fun with its assortment of bars, restaurants, a live theatre entertainment space, and of course, a chance to test your luck and win big.
- The National World War II Museum — Enter through the doors of this stunning, modern space and take a step back into history as you learn about the war that changed the world. As you wander the pavilions of this immersive and enlightening six-acre museum, designated by Congress as the official WWII museum of the US, you’ll encounter an extensive collection of more than 250,000 artifacts, multimedia exhibits, personal accounts and more. Plus, the museum features restaurants and a dinner-theatre that performs period-themed shows.
- The Audubon Aquarium of the Americas — Situated on the majestic Mississippi River and adjacent to the French Quarter, the Audubon Aquarium was recently voted one of the top-five in the country by USA Today’s 10Best Reader Poll. Divided into several sections, guests can journey to the Caribbean, the Amazon Rainforest, the Gulf of Mexico, and more as they meet over 3,600 animals including several endangered species like white alligators and African penguins.
- The Outlet Collection Riverwalk — Prepare to flex your shopping muscles as you score premium, name-brand finds at bargain prices. The collection sports over 75 retailers, including major national brands like Tommy Hilfiger, PUMA, Coach, Under Armour, Le Creuset, and much more. When you’re ready to take a break from your shopping spree, grab a bite at one of several restaurants and eateries, or sit and relax as you take in the views of the stunning Mississippi.
- The Steamboat Natchez — From streetcars to steamboats, there’s definitely more than one way to get around the Big Easy! Experience an adventure like no other when you board an American tradition with its churning paddlewheel and musical calliope. Enjoy a scenic journey along the Mississippi River, partake in a jazz dinner cruise or brunch, or make a visit to the steam-engine room to see how this authentic steamboat operates.
Hop Aboard an Iconic Streetcar
Your adventure doesn’t stop when your walking shoes wear out; The Blake sits on the St. Charles Avenue streetcar line, which means you have easy access to even more of what this unique city has to offer.
- The Garden District — Enjoy the stately views as you ramble along St. Charles Avenue to this 19th-century neighborhood that showcases one of the best-preserved displays of historic mansions in the southern United States. Once featuring only a couple of houses per block, each of which was surrounded by a large, lovely garden (hence the name), today, the Garden District features a mix of 19th-century mansions and late Victorian “gingerbread” houses, making it a must-see for its impressive and beautiful architecture.
(The following attractions are also roughly a 12 to 15-minute walk, so it’s up to you if you want to hoof it or enjoy a leisurely streetcar ride as you take in the sights of this amazing city!)
- The Saenger Theatre — New Orleans is rich with culture, and live performances are a hallmark of the city’s incredibly diverse and inspiring entertainment options. The Saenger Theatre has long been considered the prime performing arts venue in New Orleans, hosting an array of Broadway shows, comedians, concerts, and many other exciting performances. See what’s onstage during your stay!
- The Mercedes-Benz Superdome — Perhaps best known as the home to the New Orleans Saints and stomping grounds to the incomparable Drew Brees, this iconic stadium features an almost endless list of events that goes far beyond football. Holding a landmark spot in the New Orleans’ skyline, this highly-coveted event space hosts concerts, exhibitions, and world-famous annual festivals like the Essence Fest (just to name a few) throughout the year.
- Smoothie King Center — Home to the New Orleans Pelicans basketball team, this state-of-the-art entertainment venue is located next to the Superdome and continually hosts a number of thrilling concerts, tournaments, and other events. Make sure to check out the event calendar to see what’s happening during your stay!
Enjoy Staying In at The Blake
Sometimes, after experiencing a full day (or night) of fun, you just want to kick back and relax. Why not stay in for a while and enjoy all of the wonderful amenities that The Blake has to offer?
- Café on the Square — Sit back and unwind as you enjoy a cocktail or two, grab a light bite, or a delicious homemade meal at The Blake’s on-site restaurant. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, guests can indulge in a menu of tempting favorites like biscuits and gravy, waffles, crab cakes, steak, pasta dishes, and more. On the weekends, treat yourself to a tasty brunch complete with fried-green tomatoes and mimosas.
- Get Fit — New Orleans is known for its irresistible food and fun, but that doesn’t mean you can’t feel your best. Whether you want to break a serious sweat, stretch your muscles after a busy day, or sneak in a light workout, the well-equipped fitness center at The Blake offers a variety of machines, free weights, and other top-notch equipment so you don’t have to miss a beat when it comes to your health.
- Enjoy the View — With a prime location in downtown New Orleans, you’re sure to be amazed at the picturesque vista that surrounds you from every angle. Kick back in your spacious guest room as you enjoy fantastic views of the city from the comfort of your own room, or maybe even step out onto the balcony to soak in all of the sights and sounds of this remarkable city.
No matter what brings you to New Orleans, whether it’s business or pleasure, one thing is for sure, you’ll always take a little bit of NOLA with you when you leave! Where you stay when you visit can make all the difference in your overall experience, especially when it comes to location. Ready to see all that this true one-of-a-kind city has to offer? Book your stay with The Blake today, and get ready to create memories that will last a lifetime!